Modeling – the glamourous career option that is quite possibly the most desirable and attractive choice for youngsters. Everyone has done the catwalk in front of the mirror at least once in their childhood. All of us have teased the tall friend of the group to go ahead and pursue modeling as a career option. But modeling in itself is no less competitive than any other profession. The gateway into the film industry is modeling. Hence, everyone competes to reap the benefits that come with it – money and fame through sheer hard work and dedication.
What is fashion modeling?
When a designer designs a particular garment or accessory, they need people to present it to others. This is when the role of a fashion model comes in. The fashion models become the face of the garment and present it in a fashion show where they show off a particular type of fashion of a designer. This gives the people an idea of the fashion that the designer is portraying. Fashion models not only showcase garments but also accessories like jewelry, cosmetics, footwear, and more. However, their jobs are not only limited to fashion shows but also to advertise various products. Magazines, television, social media, and various catalogs feature models as well.
What are the eligibility criteria for becoming a model?
Unlike other professions, there are no rigid educational qualifications required to become a fashion model. However, preparing in advance does the job of icing on a cake! People who are aspiring to become models can consider joining modeling schools or attend modeling classes. This will help you gain the skills like the confidence that will be required later in your career to come up as a successful fashion model. Apart from attending classes, creating an astounding portfolio also helps aspiring models. Having a balanced displaying portfolio that features and focuses on one’s solid points through top-notch, dazzling pictures is a key element.
What is the scope in the field of modeling?
Talking about the pay, making money as a fashion model is not very straightforward since it is a competitive profession. Generally, a female model can begin her career with a starting salary of Rs. 10,000 per show and the same range applies to the male models as well. However, once established in the industry, a model can expect much higher pay. Advertising agencies also approach models.
Apart from the pay, many more opportunities open up as one’s experience increases. Some of those are:
- The fashion designers usually pick those models who are represented by these agencies. Hence, most of the models sign up with modeling agencies.
- Models may also choose to work as freelance models. Having an astounding portfolio is crucial for freelance models.
- After acquiring a lot of experience as a model and having understood the fashion world, models may also choose to become fashion designers. With their experience as a model, they will get an idea of styling the garments in such a way that it is aesthetically pleasing.
- A talented model might function as a personal shopper for an individual or business. They can also perform fieldwork for fashion designers. Fashion consultant could be another job for them.
- As it is said, modeling opens up the gateway to the film industry as well. Once you are established in the industry, you will be approached by several advertising companies for television advertisements or magazines. This increases your chance of being approached for a gig in the film industry.
- There are many other lines that a model can get into later in his/her career. For example, becoming a makeup artist, Jewellery designer, pattern maker, or fashion merchandiser.
Hence, there lies a lot of scope in the modeling industry. Camera cordial disposition, a lot of self-assurance, and elegance while showcasing the items, are largely essential in acquiring a name in this profession. After securing training in this field and having a portfolio, models can hunt for various jobs. Once you have gained sound experience, a plethora of opportunities will unfold in front of you. You must be willing to take risks. By devoting utmost time and hard work to the profession, you can reap several benefits out of it.